Queensland Government – Back to work in agriculture incentive scheme is now #pickqld BONUS – open to all!
The Queensland Government introduced the $700,000 Back to Work in Agriculture Incentive Scheme in October 2020 which was available for Queenslanders who relocated to take up a new job in agriculture. This scheme was initially piloted in two regions until 2 December 2020 and then statewide from 3 December 2020. Thanks to industry and harvest workers’ feedback, the Queensland Government made further changes to the scheme and rebranded it the #pickqld bonus.
Now is the perfect time to explore the job opportunities Queensland’s regional and rural areas offer.
We’ve made it easier to help you on your way to a job in agriculture, with payments of up to $1,500 (on top of your wage) to assist with costs such as accommodation, travel, training, and workwear. The $1,500 incentive is paid in two installments:
- an initial $500 after 10 days work within a consecutive 28-day period (4 weeks)
- a second and final payment of $1,000 after 30 days of additional work within a consecutive 70-day period (10 weeks).
Your employment can be with different agricultural employers, physical locations and farms. This means you can experience picking and packing different produce, or working on cattle stations, while also getting the chance to travel around Queensland.
Who can apply
To apply for the incentive you must:
- be 16 years or older with the right to work in Australia
- have commenced work for an eligible employer on or after 1 June 2021
- hold an Australian bank account
- not be employed under the Pacific Labour Scheme or Seasonal Worker Programme
- have not worked on a farm 4 weeks before starting your current role
- not be a dependent of the employing business
- not have already received funds either under the Back to Work in Agriculture Incentive Scheme or #pickqld bonus.
What you need to do
All you need to do is:
- find a farm job in Queensland with an employer that holds a current WorkCover policy. Ask your employer about this or enter their ABN into this tool to find out (you will be able to find your employer’s ABN on your payslip).
- read the #pickqld bonus guidelines to make sure you are aware of the rules.
- have evidence of your identity, employment and days worked (also a copy of your right to work in Australia if you are a visa holder).
You’ll need to provide evidence of your identity and right to work in Australia. Acceptable documents may include:
- Australian driver licence
- adult proof of age card (e.g. 18+ card)
- Medicare card
- birth certificate
- eligible Australian visa must be provided if you are a visa holder.
You’ll also need to provide evidence of your employment and that you’ve met the work requirements, through:
- a copy of your letter of offer from your employer, which includes the terms of employment
- copies of your payslips to demonstrate paid employment with eligible employer/s.
The #pickqld bonus guidelines have more information about the rules, how to apply and what you will need to provide as evidence.
How to apply
Apply now via the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) application portal. You will need to register and create a profile before starting an application.
Applications will close once all funding has been allocated, or by 31 December 2021 (whichever comes first).
Read our commonly asked questions.
For questions about your application please call QRIDA on 1800 623 946 or complete the online contact us form.
For all other questions about the #pickqld bonus, please contact DAF on 13 25 23 or via email.